Tuesday, September 27, 2011

purple

This month the cover of the Country Living magazine caught my eye.  Purple linen slip covered couch paired with bright whites...I just couldn't keep my eyes off it.  I still have it sitting on my coffee table and sneak glances at it every once and awhile.


Then I was at my sister-in-laws the other day picking up some yarn she was giving me when she handed me this box.  I opened it up and to my delight several pairs of.... purple and ivory large checked Country Curtains.  A long while ago she took them from a tag sale my mom was having and was always meaning to list them on ebay, since they were just too nice to bring to the Goodwill.  Lucky for me, life got in the way and she didn't ever list them.


I do have them on my windows at the moment.  I'm in the very beginning stages of redoing my living room.  It literally takes me months to pull everything together for a room.  It's just how I work.  I have to live with something for awhile and then gradually add to it.  In about a year I might have it all together.

I do have a natural, almost white colored slipcover in mind.  The fabric (painters drop cloth) has been washed and thrown over the couch until I get around to actually sewing the slipcover.

Now that I'm into purples, I'm seeing them everywhere.  I think it's the new purple colors.  I'm seeing softer and deeper hues and I'm in love.

Monday, September 12, 2011

sweater to leg warmers = quick tutorial


I found this sweater the other day while at a thrift store.  I could not pass it up with those sleeves.  I instantly thought - leg warmers.  I'm surprised my mind was thinking winter wear when I've been having the toughest time lately getting into this seasonal change going on up here.


I don't know why an adult would wear this...probably the reason that I found it at the Salvation Army.


First thing, chop off the sleeves and cut off the seam so they lay flat.  Then I measured my little legs circumference.  Nothing technical, just held them up to her legs, wrapped them around then marked the spot.  Stitch up a new seam.


Fold down that raw edge and stitch.  I used both a straight stitch and a zig zag.  This is where a serger would come in real handy.


You can see here one is hemmed at the top, one is not.  She was loving them at the moment and yes, she is standing on the horse.  She is my crazy girl...more than offsetting her shy, soft spoken, gentle older sister.


Thursday, September 8, 2011

first sweater


My first sweater.  I thought it a good idea to start with something small and easy.  I used a free pattern I found in an easy baby sweater search.  Now that I'm done it seemed easy but I was stressing about how I was going to figure it all out.  I'm very new to knitting and have several projects going and this feels so good to get one of them finished.


It went together relatively fast considering my inexperience and the fact that I had the first sleeve almost finished 3 times and had to rip it out 3 times.  Even so, you can see that something went wrong with those sleeves.  The one on the left is noticeably larger than the right.   They looked to be the same size before it went together So I'm thinking it was the final assembly.


The pattern called for a backstitch for attaching the sleeves but in my search of figuring out exactly how to do the backstitch I came across a blog knocking that stitch and swaying me toward the mattress stitch.  And again in my inexperience, I accidentally started stitching it so the seam faced outwards, which I carried throughout thinking it looked pretty cool.  I was most surprised with how fast it all assembled together.


I used a worsted weight Encore yarn and size 8 needles.  This is sized for a 12 month old.  I actually had in mind this as a gift for my friend who did not yet know the gender but I guess I was leaning towards a boy.  Of course we now know she's having a girl.  The colors are pretty neutral but I'm thinking that since it's a first try and the sleeves are off quite a bit, it will make a nice doll sweater for my girls.


The buttons make this great for getting over baby's head.  The button holes were made with a quick yarn over and then two more rows of stockinette.


I think that this would be really cute without the buttons and just stitch up the top opening maybe 1/2 way where the buttons are now.  Hmmmm....I may be getting some pink yarn and giving that a try.